Monday, September 22, 2014

Trying New Foods and Recipes

Since I am trying to eat a little better and I am trying to get out of the food rut we seem to be in, (I do not want to keep making the same things all the time) I have incorporated some new foods into our meals and new recipes! The first thing I tried in the last week (which I have found I love) is "The Golden Spurtle" which is a steel cut (also known as pinhead) oatmeal. It reminds me of Maypo (another favorite). I added some dried cranberries and almonds to it and it was spectacular! It was so good I wanted to have it as a snack after dinner so I saved it in the fridge and reheated it with some milk and it was so good! 

I have also been eating more fruit and vegetables every chance I get! I love eating grapes, oranges, apples, peaches and more with the kids because they love it all too! I have been drinking more water especially since I have done more walking lately. My inspiration was a little forced due to feeling like a big failure but I am determined to become more healthy one way or another. 

Just felt like taking a picture! :) 
We also tried a new recipe this week. A few nights ago I had taken out some sauce that I had made and was just going to boil some pasta and bake some biscuits and that was going to be that...then I had an idea! I had remembered seeing a recipe for Chicken Parmesan using frozen chicken nuggets (which I have an abundance of with kids in the house). So I found the recipe and I modified it a little using some jarred Mozzarella Sauce (Ragu) and my sauce layering first the frozen nuggets in a 13x9, then slowly layering the mozzarella sauce, my sauce and some grated Parmesan cheese. I popped it in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, then I pulled it out and topped it with some grated Mozzarella cheese and put it back in for another 15 mins. While that was baking up all yummy I boiled the water for the pasta and used a muffin tin to put my refrigerated biscuits in (since I still don't have a cookie sheet). 15 minutes later I was pulling out everything from the oven and my family was drooling over the smells of greatness wafting through the house! Dinner was a HUGE hit that night! I am so glad I decided to make it and even more glad that a new recipe did so well with the whole family (that is just rare). 

I can't wait to try some other new recipes! 

#SuperChef #MamaChef #Shocking

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's My Body, Isn't It?

  Amidst the current political shitstorm regarding reproductive rights for anyone with a uterus in the US. It appalls me to see how my own c...